Your brand is much more than just your logo; it’s about who you are as a company and what values you stand behind. It’s the visual that customers associate with good or bad feelings and it can be as iconic as you make it be.
So why is designing brand identity so important? Brand identity is the aspect of branding that concentrates on your brand’s personality. Essentially, this is what will differentiate you from the competition and help you stand out in the eyes of consumers. As a business, you need to carefully define the shape of your brand and the emotional bond you wish to establish with your audience.
In this post, we’re offering 5 tips that will help you create a unique and memorable brand in 2023.
1. Know Your Target Audience
The first thing to do when designing your brand identity is to understand your target customers. You can’t target a product to millennials the same way you would target it to baby boomers.
Use the internet and social media to find out what people are interested in and discuss online. Of course, you can also do the research yourself by developing a questionnaire and distributing it to your friends and website visitors. Learning what your audience wants from a company in your industry is crucial to creating a brand that people will love.
2. Choose Your Brand Name
Choosing a name for your brand is arguably one of the most important decisions you will need to make. The name is essential for your brand identification. All company names can generally be divided into seven categories:
- Descriptive: Use words or phrases that precisely describe the work your company does (General Motors).
- Founders name: When naming your company, use your first name, last name, or initials (Calvin Klein, Chanel).
- Geolocation: Include your current address or the location of your company in the name of your brand (New York Burger Bar).
- Metaphor: Use vivid language and metaphors that accurately describe the work that your company accomplishes (Nike, Amazon).
- Invented: Use your imagination to its fullest potential to come up with creative and memorable words for your name (Kodak).
- Lexical: Use puns, compound words, or even deliberate misspellings to make your name stand out (Petsmart).
- Acronyms: You can use acronyms if you want to utilize a longer term or if you want your brand’s name to define what you do (Ikea).
Ensure that the brand name you have chosen is easy to spell, pronounce, and remember. In addition, check if the domain with this name is still available.
3. Choose Your Color Palette
The color palette you choose should reflect the values your brand upholds because it will affect how your target customers view your business.
If you’re not sure which colors would work best for your brand, investigate the various meanings behind each color. By doing so, you will have a greater understanding of the colors that complement one another and the feelings they evoke.
4. Design Your Logo
Your company logo serves as the primary visual image of your company, thus it must be appealing to your target market. In addition, it must accurately reflect your brand in terms of the goods you sell as well as your company’s core values.
Remember that the typography in a brand logo is also a crucial component. However, although some companies like Coca-Cola use typography as their logo, others such as Starbucks have a unique icon to stand for their brand. Whatever choice you make must be suitable for your business and customers.
5. Determine Your Brand Tone
By deciding what your brand tone (brand voice) will be, you will determine how you want to display your brand through text. For instance, if your brand tends to be fun, use casual language that reflects your brand’s personality. If, on the other hand, you are targeting high-end clients, use words and a tone that is more professionally grounded.
All your marketing materials, as well as the content you publish on various channels and platforms, must adhere to your brand’s tone.
Developing a brand identity takes time and perseverance, so don’t rush it. Know your target audience, understand your values, and have a great name and a great-looking logo. The most important thing is to be constant and stick with your branding decisions. If you follow the tips listed above, you will undoubtedly succeed.